2018 In Numbers
I wanted to take a look back at the last year of my life as objectively as possible, so I decided to try and quantify exactly how my year went. This is an attempt at that.
- Had my first alcoholic drink
- Smoked for the first time
- Bought my first house
- Visited Hawaii
- Went into the ocean
Here’s the breakdowns of what numbers I was able to grab and find hard evidence of. I sorted them by rough categories.
- Commits pushed: 676 contributions to public repos / an unknown number to private repos. (at time of writing this)
- Average time spent coding per day: 7 hours 22 minutes (according to WakaTime)
- Side Projects Deployed: 4
- Domain Names Purchased: 9 (I have too many of these)
- Libraries Written: 3 (Ubermind, Storj-Logger, WolverineJS)
- Languages Learned: 1 (Go)
- Kubernetes Clusters Deployed: 3
- Notebooks filled: 1 Rhodia Web Dot Notebook
- Computer Monitors Purchased: 2
- Conferences Attended: 3
- Company All Hands meetings: 4
- Flights Taken: 29
- Countries Visited: 4 (Germany, Spain, Sweden, Canada)
Personal & Play⌗
- Girlfriends Acquired: 1
- Dogs Acquired: 1 (My girlfriend is very upset this number isn’t higher)
- Cups of Coffee Purchased / Drank: 66 times (for a total of $473.13)
- Restaurants / Eating Out: 418 transactions / $633.29 in total
- Houses Bought: 1 (Salt Lake City, UT)
- Cars Bought: 1 (2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser)
- Cars Sold: 1 (2004 Subaru WRX STI)
- Car Parts Bought: ~$4500 (almost all of it on rebuilding my Chevy Nova engine)
- Blog Posts Published: 13 (Across work and personal)
- Magic the Gathering EDH Decks Built: 3 ($131.53 / 2 orders from CardKingdom)
- StarCraft 2 MMR: 2927 (Down from Platinum to Gold Rank)
- Stellaris In-Game Hours: 176 hours (new favorite game)
- Times Tattooed: 5 ($720 in total)
- German Tutoring: 10 hours / total of $250
- Liquor & Beer: $413.58 (since roughly June)
- Amazon orders: 23
- Shipt Orders: 3 (grocery delivery service)
Fitness & Activities⌗
- Gym Attendance: 2.3 times per week for the year (MyFitnessPal tracking)
- Weight Lost: 12 pounds
- Total Feet Rappelled: 290ft. (Goblin’s Lair + Farnsworth Canyon)
- Unique Hikes Completed (not total times): 16 (The list, as best as I can remember: Dog Lake, Silver Lake, Timpanogos Peak, White Pine Lake, The Living Room, Wailua Canyon, Waimea Canyon, Queen’s Bath, Goblin’s Lair, Ding & Dang Canyon, Bell Canyon, Little Wild Horse Canyon, Golden Cathedral Escalante, Peek A Boo Canyon, Zebra Canyon, Little Death Hollow)
- Utah Parks Visited: 6 (Canyonlands, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Escalante Grand Staircase National Monument, Goblin Valley, Arches National Park)
I’m not super active on social media, but it’s pretty easy to see Reddit is my top active, with Instagram being second as far as time spent on it, and Twitter coming in last, though this is probably because I only recently started being active on Twitter again.
- Facebook Posts: 0
- Tweets Tweeted: 129
- Reddit Karma Gained: ~6.4k (by my best estimates)
- Instagram Posts: 8
Top Album Listens⌗
Music is a pretty large part of my life (I did run a record label for several years, after all) and thus I figure it deserves a large part of this wrap up.
- Minutes Listening: 47,379
- Top Artist: Left Behind
- 74% of music I listen to is categorized by Spotify as “non-mainstream”
- Top Genre: Hip Hop
Top Artists by Album:⌗
- Varials - Pain Again
- Left Behind - Seeing Hell
- Thy Art Is Murder - Dear Desolation
- Tiny Moving Parts - Swell
- Emmure - Look At Yourself
- Stray From The Path - Subliminal Criminals
- BROCKHAMPTON - SATURATION II
- Flatbush Zombies - Vacation In Hell
- Knocked Loose - Pop Culture
- KOOL A.D. - Word O.K.
- Post Malone - beer bongs & bentleys
- Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
- Left Behind - Blessed By The Burn
- Warhound - Freedom
- Backtrack - Bad To My World
- Orthodox - Sounds of Loss
- He Is Legend - few
- Hollow Earth - Dead Planet
- Trade Wind - Suffer Just To Believe
- Ski Mask the Slump God - Life Is Short
- Rich Brian - Gospel, Dat $tick, and Amen
- Hail The Sun - Wake, Culture Scars
- Sianvar - Sianvar E.P.
- Hardside - The Madness, Time Is Punishment
- Trapped Under Ice - Big Kiss Goodnight
- Counterparts - You’re Not You Anymore, Tragedy Will Find Us
- Rooks - Infinite III
- Motion City Soundtrack - Commit This To Memory
- Darke Complex - Widow
- Future - FUTURE
- Vic Mensa - The Autobiography
- JID - The Never Story
- Anderson .Paak - Yes Lawd!, Oxnard
There’s a lot of music I would recommend that’s not on this list, but these are my most listened to albums in 2018 according to Spotify.
This year, I’m going to try and
- Increase the amount of code I push out.
- Make my first dollar with one of my apps / side projects.
- Focus more on finishing tasks and projects than starting new ones. (I have a problem with this, so this is a big one for me.)
- Read 5 books. (Non fiction or fiction)
- Travel to 3 new countries.
- Learn German to conversational fluency.
- Deploy my own homelab.
- Write a Go library
- Finish my database project
For the next year, I’m going to start tracking
- Average monthly users of my products (across all sites / “total reach”)
- Average number of lines of code per commit / pull request (I’m aiming for less code per pull request but more overall pull requests)
- Blog reads (I need to start a log of what I read every morning)
- Server bill and usage (DigitalOcean and Wasabi bills)
- Consumption of questionable substances (Fat Doinks per Day/Average Doinkage)
If you have interesting ideas for other statistics I should track, let me know!